dimanche 30 mai 2010

A taste of America

It is about time for me to write a new post. After more than two weeks in Cambridge, I finally found the time to write...
Today is the Sunday before the last Monday of May, which means it's the day before Memorial Day. Indeed tomorrow is a free day (also shops will be open and doing sales...). I must admit that I spent most of the day inside. I am not quite adapted yet to the climate here, with the 27 °C, and also, I do not have sun cream, so I stayed inside, where the ceiling fan (Emily and Jenny, you were right, it's so great, too bad that I don't have them in my new apartment) keep it a bit cooler. But this evening, I went out in Boston to go to the cinema with a nice Chinese guy I met online.
For the first time since I am here, I decided to actually take the metro to go downtown Boston instead of my usual 1 hour walk. This let me about half an hour before the set time for the cinema, and I went to the nearby park, the Boston common. After a five minute fight with my bag, that I had to repair with a paper clip, I walked through the park.
That is when I truly realised I was in the new world... I saw a bird, going around the park... looking pretty normal, but it was bird of a species I never saw... for a moment, I felt like an adventurer scientist of the 19th century, travelling through a wild country and describing the exotic wild life... also this feeling did not last very long, it remains in my head as a faint taste of adventure... after that, I discovered really what is memorial day, coming close to meadow full of American flags.
Each flag is for a fallen soldiers from MA, (the description does not specifies since when it is counted though)....even though it seems to be a quite solemn thing, apparently the main point is to be taken in picture smiling in front of the flag's field...
Moving on to the next point, I met the guy and we entered the cinema. Of course you buy your ticket with your credit card... after traveling through long corridors and different levels we reached the correct cinema. I then spend about two nice hours watching Jake Gyllenhaal playing prince of Persia... haaaa Jack...
Another interesting thing then happened: the movie was about to be finished, the last scene was still on screen that almost everyone stand up and started to rush to the exit.... that's quite different from the Swiss cinema where you wait that lights are on and try to decide if you can go out as the credits are still on...
We then decided to go for a drink... well this did not really happen.... because I did not bring my passport with me... no way to enter a bar without it to prove I am over 21... I will now try to figure out how to do a liquor ID...That's all for today, just another picture


A picture of my new house... I have the appartment on the 2nd floor(american counting, so the first "normal" :-) floor), with the big window without curtains (yet). My bedroom is where the two smaller windows on the left are.

1 commentaire: